It's not always obvious what may have caused a blue screen error while you are using your device, it may be that you're using new hardware or third-party software that isn't compatible with your Windows device. Use the following troubleshooting steps in order to try and fix your blue screen error.
Step 1: Uninstall third-party software
Some third-party antivirus software has been known to cause blue screen errors. You can temporarily uninstall this software to determine if it is causing your issue, and then reinstall the software after your device is back up and running.
To do this, you'll need to sign in to Windows using safe mode. Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers and allows you to perform troubleshooting steps.
Before you enter safe mode, you need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE ). Here’s how:
1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
7. Allow your device to fully restart to enter WinRE.
Now that you are in WinRE, follow these steps to take you to safe mode.
1. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
After your device restarts, you'll see a list of options. The preferred option is to select 5 or press F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
Once your device is in safe mode, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > Apps & features. Select Sort by name and change it to Sort by install date. Select the third-party software you want to remove, and then select Uninstall. After you uninstall the third-party software, restart your device.